Parents of teenager Megan Lee who died from a takeaway call for law change | ITV News

Parents of teenager Megan Lee who died from a takeaway call for law change | ITV News
The heartbroken parents of a teenager who died after having an allergic reaction to a takeaway have called for a change in food safety laws.

Megan Lee, a nut allergy sufferer, died from an asthma attack two years ago after she ate food from the Royal Spice takeaway in Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire.

Describing the “life-shattering” experience of losing their teenage daughter, Adam and Gemma Lee told ITV News: “Megan’s bedroom is still the same. Everything is where she left them because we can’t come to terms with moving it.”

The owner and manager of the takeaway were jailed this week after being convicted of manslaughter by gross negligence of the 15-year-old girl who suffered irreversible brain damage.

In an emotional interview with ITV News, Gemma said: “It wouldn’t have mattered what they ordered regardless of what the ingredients listed, even if they were available to them they would have still come into contact with peanut protein due to their [the takeaway’s] ways of working, cross contamination, nothing was stored correctly”.

The teenager and her friend had ordered their food online via the Just Eat website and wrote “prawns, nuts” in the comments and notes section.

However the meal delivered which included an onion bhaji, a seekh kebab and a Peshwari naan, was later found to have the “widespread presence” of peanut protein.

• Subscribe to ITV News on YouTube: http://bit.ly/2lOHmNj
• Get breaking news and more stories at http://www.itv.com/news

Follow ITV News on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/itvnews/
Follow ITV News on Twitter: https://twitter.com/itvnews
Follow ITV News on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/itvnews/

You may also like...